Amazon looks for a Public Policy Manager
Would you like to be part of a public policy team focused on increasing adoption of the utility cloud-computing model in France? Do you have the government affairs experience at national and local level necessary to help further advance the public policy agenda of Amazon Web Services (AWS), a leading cloud platform provider?
Amazon Web Services is the leading provider of cloud computing services, providing IT infrastructure offerings such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, database services and more. The successful candidate will proactively build relationships with key policymakers, IT decision makers and executives in government and other relevant organizations and help prioritize international, national, and local government public policy issues faced by AWS.
You will address policy risks to the business as well as advance strategic business opportunities and initiatives in these market segments. Especially, this position will focus its action at a local level in a selection of key cities/areas. At this local level, the successful candidate will have to understand business issues and engages business users into public policy developments.
You will become familiar with all aspects of AWS’s business, and interface directly with the business units at national and local level. This Paris based government affairs and policy position, which will also participate in the AWS Europe, Middle-East & Africa Public Policy team, shall:
– Develop, lead and implement government affairs advocacy objectives and policy/political priorities for Amazon Web Services (AWS) in France;
– Develop position papers and advocacy documents to support advocacy goals; help align policy position across key functions; help ensure consistency in position across the AWS business on core policy issues.
– Represent key positions directly and/or through industry associations/coalitions to national and local representatives to enable an unrestricted, transparent and technology friendly regulatory environment for the growth of AWS;
– Assess and communicate potential regulatory threats and opportunities, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and policy positions, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs and key initiatives in concert with AWS business objectives;
– Facilitate meetings between AWS executives and national/local stakeholders, including mayors, regional and departmental prefects, government officials, industry association and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company’s public policies;
– Determine, maintain and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations/coalitions on behalf of AWS.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged. He shall demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. The responsibilities require that candidates be willing and able to make frequent trips across France (especially Lyon, Toulouse, Nantes and other relevant location) but also abroad (Brussels, London, Luxembourg, Seattle and other locations).
· Minimum of five years of experience in a relevant field of activity, preferably in a Public Policy or Public Relations environment/consultancy. Knowledge of French policies related to telecommunications, IT and cloud computing issues is preferred
· Exceptional organizational skills with experience working on large projects involving planning, logistics, and budgeting. Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at highest corporate, political and educational institution levels
· Experience in leading public policy relationships in education in digital skills and digital awareness projects will be an asset
· Team player who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
· Creativity and bias for action with the willingness to take ownership of projects and lead them through to conclusion
· Strong analytical skills, including ability to dive deep and understand how legislative and regulatory proposals may impact AWS business in France
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and networks with others, as well as ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required.
· Exceptional time-management skills, including ability to prioritize and manage competing demands on your time
· Native French and fluent English are necessary. Further proficiency in other European languages would be an asset.
· A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a relevant discipline (Law, Political Science, Corporate Communication, etc.). An advanced degree in Public Policy is preferred.
· A passion for technology and an interest in growing a successful career in a Public Policy environment
· A strategic way of thinking and strong hands-on mentality
· A great deal of personal initiative, creativity, decisiveness, and team spirit
· Experience developing position papers and formal submissions for government agencies
· Previous role in a public policy or related team so as to bring best practices in team management and coordination to our function
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies’ worldwide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.