ECF seeks Senior Associate
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
The ECF seeks a
Senior Associate, French Programme
Context of the role
The ECF French Programme works with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks and academia to support positive action on climate and energy in France. We work to build political will for climate action and to develop solutions to policy and practical challenges in the power, buildings, transport, industry and finance sectors.
That is why we are looking for a candidate with:
- A strong general knowledge of climate and energy policies in France;
- A successful experience of citizen mobilization and/or political influence;
- Experience in managing entities, programmes and projects with a societal impact, preferably in international environments
- Excellent level of professional English.
This job offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support a major ECF programme at an important stage in the development of the climate and energy debate in France and Europe. The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advices, dealing with grant management, monitoring and evaluation of the progresses of the different work streams. There will be direct engagement with other ECF programmes, partners and funders in developing and aligning strategies.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy: helping the Director in setting the programme’s strategy, priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners;
- Grant making: developing the scope of work for ECF projects; soliciting and validating proposals from potential French grantees and commissioning studies from consultants; drafting selection recommendations for board/donors’ consideration;
- Project management: managing and monitoring the budget as well as deliverables conducted by a set of grantees and external consultancies by maintaining frequent communication, providing strategic direction and ensuring accountability; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report progress to donors;
- Research activities & prospect: scoping of the landscape around climate local and national politics and advocacy, as well as potential new projects & grantees;
- Internal coordination: liaising with sectoral programmes active in France, other country programmes and operations team; liaising with communications team based in Paris to ensure dissemination of information, consistency and complementarity of the project etc.
- Networking: building partnerships with key stakeholders across the policymaking, business and civil society communities in France and Europe; convening meetings; representing the programme at meetings and organize follow-up.
She/he will report to the Director of the French programme.
We are looking for 5-8 years experienced candidates with a strong record within climate community.
Several initial routes are possible!
- You have local and/or national experience in citizen mobilization and/or political lobbying related to climate or the environment
- You have successfully managed an entity, a programme, large-scale projects with societal impacts, preferably in international environments
- You have experience in accompanying ecological transitions of territories
- You have a perfect command of English
The routes combining these dominant ones will logically be particularly welcome.
Important skills and mindset include:
- Hold a degree in a field of relevance to climate policy (political science, economy, environment…);
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in an equivalent position;
- Experience in a public institution, civil society organization or company related to the Foundation’s fields of intervention;
- In-depth understanding and excellent general knowledge of climate and energy policies and their political issues;
- Excellent knowledge of French public institutions and the political decision-making process;
- Strong network in the climate community in France (NGOs, government, Unions…);
- Excellent vision of the interactions between climate actors in France (NGOs, government, trade unions…);
- Tactical sense and mastery of influence strategies;
- Ability to analyse actors and power relations;
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organization;
- Excellent command of the French and English languages (both spoken and written);
- Very strong verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Ability to naturally distinguish its own and the Foundation’s room for manoeuvre in complex ecosystems;
- Strong networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Strategic agile leader, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills;
- Enthusiasm and ability to communicate it.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;