Foreign and Commonwealth Office seeks Senior Political Officer
Senior Political Officer
Roles and Responsibilities
The British Embassy in Paris is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Senior Political Officer to play a leading role in our political work and in building Franco-British relations at an important, and fascinating, time in both countries. That means: reporting on and analyzing French politics; designing and implementing our engagement strategy with the French National Assembly and Senate; and maximizing understanding, links and connections between our countries. The ideal candidate will know and be fascinated by politics, be a compelling advocate with senior interlocutors, be comfortable working on a wide range of issues, show excellent team-work and deliver alongside others, and be motivated to make a real contribution to cross-Channel relations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Political Reporting: Follow and analyse French politics, with reporting showing real added-value and contributing to the elaboration of policy across the Embassy and in London.
- Engagement: Lead a strategic engagement plan for the Embassy’s engagement with French parliamentarians. Build relationships across both Houses of the French Parliament, their Committees and within political parties, both personally, through the team and through the wider Embassy.
- Building bilateral relations: Support engagement between British and French Ministers, parliamentarians and parliamentary groups.
- Embassy: As a source of expertise to support and advise the Ambassador, Senior Leadership Team and other colleagues on French politics, contributing to individual projects and the overall bilateral relationship. Contribute to speeches and other interventions.
- Project management: To lead specific bilateral projects with a particular focus on influencing and managing stakeholders to deliver outcomes.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent knowledge of the French political system.
- Experience working with French political institutions, parties, think tanks or lobbying.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Fluent verbal and written communication skills in French.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Used to work with high-level elected officials.
- Knowledge of the UK and UK politics.
- Experience in project management.
- 4+ years of relevant experience.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace.
Application deadline: 24 June 2018